Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) Claim

At PICA we are limited to providing accident solicitors in the UK to only those clients who are able to prove the negligence of those they wish to claim compensation from, or at least those who are able to provide the defendants identity.

As a result of this PICA are unable to provide legal representation for those clients who are victims of uninsured or untraced drivers. The reason is quite simple: when you, the claimant, seek compensation from an employer, hospital, product manufacturer or supermarket, the compensation is paid out by the defendant’s insurance company. So if you are unable to provide the identity of those to blame, then we won’t know who to seek the claim for compensation from.

This does not mean to say that there is no help available to you. In 1946 the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) was established as an organisation to compensate those who become victims of both uninsured and untraced motorists. As a means by which to fund the MIB, and in accordance with the Road Traffic Act 1988, an average of £30 per motor insurance policy is paid to the organisation by the UK motor insurers.  On average £30 of your money is paid to the MIB to cover the expenses incurred by those who don’t feel obligated to pay for motor insurance. It is from this funding that a victim’s claim for compensation may be awarded.

As with insurance policies there is an excess fee of £350 to prevent claims of a lesser value from being pursued. While to some this may seem unfair, the excess fee works by discouraging those who wish to seek compensation of a lesser amount which in turn prevents the MIB workload becoming flooded with petty claims for minor incidents.

Furthermore, when it comes to the amount awarded by the MIB there is little to contend with as compensation tends to be non-negotiable though legal representation may further your chances of being awarded a higher compensation payout.

If you find yourself in need of a legal representative then we advise you to be cautious with your money. Some accident solicitors require a great deal of money for what appears to be very little work, though what you are paying for is their years of expertise.

Therefore it is our advice that you find an accident solicitor who will act on your behalf on the understanding that it is a no win no fee arrangement. Legal fees are not usually paid for by the MIB as their interest is primarily concerned with awarding you the compensation you are entitled to. No more, no less.

MIB claims are able to be pursued by persons of the general public, instructing a UK solicitor is not essential and therefore the best advice we can give you is to visit the MIB website for yourself and contact them directly with regard to your claim for compensation.